Monday, September 17, 2012

Happy and Excited or Nervous and Anxious?

Being the mom to a very adorable 4 year old little girl, I am very careful how I label feelings. I believe that if, instead of asking her if she's nervous about something that might make someone nervous (first day of school, swimming lessons, etc.), I should be asking her if she's excited and that this will be a great benefit to her in the long run. We watched a documentary on Aly Raisman (US Gymnastics girl) and she talked about this. She was asked if she was nervous about performing at the Olympics and her response was that no, she was excited and it's all about how you label that feeling that will put you in the right mind set to succeed. (Probably... no, definitely not her exact words, but it's what I got out of it.) When I heard her say that, I thought, "Wow, she is so mature for such a young girl." I wonder if her mother taught her this. I wonder if her mother was careful about how she labeled certain feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment